Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Art vs. Sleep

I say that I hate snow... but I'm a huge liar. Truth be told, I just hate all the adult things that are associated with snow. Snow represents things like purity, and wonder. Yet all those good feelings dissipate when one is encountered with their responsibilities. Every job that I have had, there was no excuse not to have us work. It didn't matter how bad it was outside, we had to make money. Eventually they would let us leave early after management spoke with their higher ups. I understand you need to have people there for the sake of business, but was it really worth my time being there for a few hours of pay? And then there's car trouble, such as my car tires being stuck in the snow. And no matter how fast I rev up my engine, the only progress made is the burning of rubber from my tires. The fumes created from them enter my nostrils and fill my mind with a mixture of fear, amxiety, and frustration.

Sunday night was the first time in a long time that I had seen any real snow in Richmond. Most people I know enjoy the snow during the day time, but I'm not like that. I love the snow during the night. There is just some sort of solemn beauty in watching the snow flakes descend from the dark sky, as they bathe in the street lamps light. I was inspired by the sight of this to make a video out of it. So I went out that night on a little adventure to record some footage on my crappy little digital camera(Which is why it looks kind of pixelated). This is actually my first amateur short film. I don't have any formal training in film, so please give any feedback on how what to do make it better. It's called: "Solitude In Snow".





The song, Gymnopédies 1, is what was playing through my head while I was watching the snow. It just seemed like the right song to put in the film.

These are also some photos that took along my journey that night.





2 comments:

  1. I love these photos. Come over, I have a surprise for you. <3 Sammm

    ReplyDelete